Labels

Monday, September 9, 2013

Shah Alam Blue Mosque


Hubby & the Blue Mosque

For the next travelogue, I'm going to write about my trip to Turkey in 2004 dedicated to my late parents. Before I started writing about the famous Blue Mosque of Istanbul, let me appreciate the Blue Mosque of Shah Alam from my very own country. This is the second mosque in Malaysia that I wrote, first 1 was the National Mosque of Malaysia.

A minaret & a Dome

It was Saturday afternoon when hubby and I decided to stop for Zuhur prayer that gives me opportunity to snap various photos outside and inside of the mosque. We were in Shah Alam for a wedding that day, 24th August 2013. Though I visited before during my university life's (UITM is close by), it was a rare chance of me getting through from the royal entrance up to the main prayer hall on the upper level. It was indeed a greatest opportunity. It was past Zuhur time but the mosque was crowded for briefing by Tabung Haji to 2013 Malaysian pilgrimage candidates to Mecca.

Right side view - 2 minarets

The Sultan Salahuddin Abdul Aziz Shah Mosque is one of the most famous landmark in the city of Shah Alam. Also known as the Blue Mosque, it is one of the largest mosques in South East Asia. The blue and silver dome is 51.2 m in diameter and rises up to a height of 106.7 m. There are 4 minarets with a height of 142.3 m making them one of the world's tallest. The dome's outer surface is clad with vitreous enamel-baked triangular steel panel. It can accommodate 24,000 worshippers at any one time.


The sign "Royal Entrance"

The two levels main prayer hall is fully carpeted and air conditioned with the upper gallery reserved for women worshippers.


The structure incorporates elements of Malay and Islamic architecture. Fine decorative khat or Arabic calligraphy can be seen on the inner curve of the dome and parts of the walls. The calligraphy work was done by Egyptian calligrapher Shaikh Abdel Moneim Mohamed Ali El Sharkawi.

Selangor State's logo

Aluminium grills design are found on the doorways, windows and walls of the mosque. The windows have stained glass that reduce the amount of light that can go through the hall. The high ceiling has triangular panels of red balau and ramin timber wood that are set in criss-cross manner.

Thru Hexagon eyes

Staircase/Escalator coverage

The mosque was commissioned by the late Sultan Salahuddin Abdul Aziz (the then Selangor Sultan), when he declared Shah Alam as the new capital of Selangor on 14 February 1974. Construction began in 1982 and finished on 11 March 1988. The Mosque is also known as the Blue Mosque owing to its blue dome. I graduated from UITM in 1989, hence witnessing the construction and its completion since 1985.

Beautiful mosaic laid at the Male Toilet

Ground Hall prayer hall/convention hall

Shoe rack

Royal entrance steps to main prayer hall

The main prayer hall is over 2 levels, both fully carpeted and air conditioned and is one of the largest such spaces in the world. The upper gallery of the prayer hall is reserved for the use of female worshippers. The second floor houses a gallery; the ground floor contains the administrative office, conference rooms, library, reception and lecture rooms. All photos are arranged from the moment I laid eyes on this beautiful, grandeur mosque till I turned my back to leave. Enjoy the photos! 

Arts to the lights

Main prayer hall, 1st floor

A Chandelier & a Dome

Looking up the Dome from where I sat among the male worshippers (p/s: they were in small numbers scattered everywhere and I sneaks between the wall), I reminded myself that I had a snapped of St Peter's Basilica dome from inside of the same angle, check St Peter's Basilica Dome in Rome photo. The arts of the dome is very attractive to admire. I wouldn't sigh or complaints in no particular reasons as I had so much opportunities in life, seeing in person, so many domes built in temples of God. God, I'm grateful and indebted to you for my whole life.

Inside full view of a Dome

Imam's mimbar

The carpet cum prayer mat

Left side of main prayer hall

Masha Allah, how beautiful is the peace within

Performing solah, an obligatory prayer

Final look/snap at the receiption area before saying my farewell, Peace be upon you (Assalamualaikum)

No comments: